Thursday 11 April 2013

Srila Prabhupada : "On My Behalf"

  1972 Correspondence

The initiation of Michael Stein is approved and beads are being sent in separate cover.
Letter to Ravindra Svarupa -- Nairobi 25 January, 1972:
The initiation of Michael Stein is approved and beads are being sent in separate cover.
The initiation of David and Susan Shomaker, Bruce Jacobs and Daryl Nauyokas are approved by me and their beads are following in a separate cover.
Letter to Satsvarupa -- Nairobi 29 January, 1972:
The initiation of David and Susan Shomaker, Bruce Jacobs and Daryl Nauyokas are approved by me and their beads are following in a separate cover.
*4 initiations.
Your ever well-wisher,
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
MS/jdb
SPIRITUAL NAMES BELOW
D. Shomaker—Bir Raghava
S. Shomaker—Birmala
B. Jacobs—Bir Krishna
D. Nauyokas—Bir Laksmana
Regarding the second initiation for Paramahamsa das, I approve and his thread and copy of mantra have been sent under separate post.
Letter to Gargamuni -- Honolulu 11 May, 1972:
Regarding the second initiation for Paramahamsa das, I approve and his thread and copy of mantra have been sent under separate post. Now you hold a fire yajna, and there have been several other threads recently sent to Bombay, so you hold yajna and give them all threads. I think Dayananda can send you copy of tape of me reciting Gayatri mantra, and this can be heard through the right ear by earphones during the yajna.




1973 Correspondence

It is becoming very expensive to send so many sets of beads such long distance, and it has become little bothersome for me also, so I think now you may be appointed by me to give first initiations to new disciples by chanting on their beads on my behalf. In America Kirtanananda Swami is going that.
Letter to Revatinandana -- Bombay 4 January, 1973:
Please accept my blessings. Just now I have received some more requests for giving first initiation from Dhananjaya, and now I am receiving weekly not less than ten to fifteen such requests from new students. So it is becoming very expensive to send so many sets of beads such long distance, and it has become little bothersome for me also, so I think now you may be appointed by me to give first initiations to new disciples by chanting on their beads on my behalf. In America Kirtanananda Swami is going that. So now if there are two of you that will give me great relief. Kirtanananda will chant on the beads for new devotees in America, Canada, like that, you can chant on the beads for the European continent new disciples. They shall, of course, still be considered as my disciples, not that they shall become your disciples, but you will be empowered by me to chant their beads and that is the same effect of binding master and disciple as if I were personally chanting. They may continue to send me their letters of request, along the President's recommendation, and I shall give them name and it will be entered by my Secretary in our records, only I will send my letter of reply to you and you will purchase beads there and chant them and send, along with my letter to the new initiates. Is that all right?
I shall continue to deal with the matter of second initiations. The sacred threads do not require so much postage to send airmail.
I have delegated Kirtanananda Swami to chant on the new devotees' beads on my behalf in your country. In Europe, Revatinandana Swami will chant on the new devotees' beads on my behalf.
Letter to Bhutatma -- Bombay 5 January, 1973:
I am very happy to hear from you that everything is going nicely in the San Francisco temple. Upon your recommendation I am very glad to accept the six new students as my duly initiated disciples. Their letter is enclosed herewith. As for chanting on their beads, I have delegated Kirtanananda Swami to chant on the new devotees' beads on my behalf in your country. In Europe, Revatinandana Swami will chant on the new devotees' beads on my behalf. Because it is such long distance, therefore it is very expensive to send beads airmail from here, and there are so many instances of the beads being lost in that way. And I am getting now requests up to 20 or 30 each week, so it is practically becoming impossible for me to chant the beads when I am so far distant. Therefore the new devotees may send their beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrindaban, and he will chant the beads and send back to them. Is this all right?
Now hold the fire yajna and give also second initiation to Sarvadarsan, Yajnapati, and Hari Ballav. Enclosed please find three sacred threads, duly chanted by me, along with three copies of Gayatri mantra. Now hold the fire yajna for all nine devotees, and for the second initiates teach them how to chant on the finger divisions and play for them the tape of me reciting Gayatri mantra into their right ear.
You may send your beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrindaban for chanting on them on my behalf. There is no difference if I chant them or he chants them; I have authorized him in that way.
Letter to Krsnakatha (Kris Carlson), Anala (Anna Carlson) Riddha (Roger May), Maharddhi (Morley Walkowski), Rohita (Randy Hyndeman), Kala (Carl Mulder) -- Bombay 5 January, 1973:
Please accept my blessings. Upon the recommendation of Bahudak I have gladly accepted all of you as my duly initiated disciples. You may send your beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrindaban for chanting on them on my behalf. There is no difference if I chant them or he chants them, I have authorized him in that way. I have given you the spiritual names as follows:
Kris Carlson/ KRSNAKATHA DAS ADHIKARI
Anna Carlson/ ANALA DEVI DASI
Roger May/ RIDDHA DAS
Morley Walkowski/ MAHARDDHI DAS
Randy Hyndeman/ ROHITA DAS
Carl Mulder/ KALA DAS
Now my request to all of you is that you very seriously and sincerely stick to the principles of devotional service, and especially observe strictly the four prohibitions, and without fail always chant at least 16 rounds on your beads daily. In this way you will be always happy.q
Now I am getting so many requests to take first initiation from temples in your country, and once before I had empowered you to chant the beads on my behalf, so henceforth, as long as I am away from America and Canada, I am requesting all of the temple presidents in that zone of North America and South America to send the beads of the new devotees to you at New Vrndaban.
Letter to Kirtanananda -- Bombay 5 January, 1973:
Please accept my blessings. Now I am getting so many requests to take first initiation from temples in your country, and once before I had empowered you to chant the beads on my behalf, so henceforth, as long as I am away from America and Canada, I am requesting all of the temple presidents in that zone of North America and South America to send the beads of the new devotees to you at New Vrndaban. The candidates for new devotees will send me their letters as usual, and I will give them names myself and enter in our records, simply you must chant on their beads and then return to them. Is that clear? Or, if you think it is better arrangement, I think that Bali Mardan has got many many beads in New York which we have sent him from Mayapur, so if you like you may get from him many sets of beads and you may chant them and, whenever requested by my letter only, you may send the new beads directly to the new devotees. Henceforth, then, I shall send copies of my letters of reply to the new devotees, wherever I am in the world, to you, and besides that the new devotees themselves will write to you and send you their beads. Similarly, I have appointed Revatinandana Maharaja in England to chant the beads of the new devotees on European Continent. Otherwise, in other parts of the world, I shall chant them as always.
You may send your beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrindaban for chanting them, as I have empowered him to act on my behalf. Or you may write him and request him to send you new beads, as you arrange.
Letter to Hasyakari (Howard Bernd), Rathangapani (Randy Buchert), Varuthapa (Warren Havens), Laksmivan (Lawson Knight), Bhaktavatsala (Barry Butler), Bhaktilila (Linda Butler) -- Bombay, India 9 January, 1973:
Upon the recommendation of Damodara I have gladly accepted all of you as my duly initiated disciples. Now you may send your beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrindaban for chanting them, as I have empowered him to act on my behalf. Or you may write him and request him to send you new beads, as you arrange. I have given you the spiritual names as follows:
Howard Bernd/ HASYAKARI DAS
Randy Buchert/ RATHANGAPANI DAS
Warren Havens/ VARUTHAPA DAS
Lawson Knight/ LAKSMIVAN DAS
Barry Butler/ BHAKTAVATSALA DAS
Linda Butler/ BHAKTILILA DASI
My request to all of you is that you very seriously stick to the principles of devotional service as you have learned them, and especially observe strictly the four prohibitions and without fail always chant at least 16 rounds on your beads daily. In this way you will be always happy.
You may request them to send their beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrndavana for chanting on them on my behalf.
Letter to Damodara -- Bombay, India 9 January, 1973:
Upon your recommendation I am happy to accept the six applicants as my duly initiated disciples, and their letter is enclosed herewith. You may request them to send their beads to Kirtanananda in New Vrndavana for chanting on them on my behalf. I have given that responsibility as it is too costly to send so many beads such great distance by air mail. Now I am getting so many requests for first initiation, therefore I have given that responsibility to Kirtanananda, and Revatinandana will chant on the beads for the European devotees.
Will you please send one copy of this letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads of the aspiring devotees for I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf.
Letter to Kurusrestha -- Melbourne 10 February, 1973:
Second initiations of Sudarsani dasi and Madhurya-lilananda dasi are duly approved by me. Enclosed you will find the Gayatri Mantra slips. You may have one fire ceremony and they may listen to the tape of me chanting the Gayatri Mantra in their right ear and repeat it. Regarding the first initiations, they are also approved by me and their names are as follows. Dan Swanson is now Dvijati Pujaka das, Christopher Beard is now Carucandra das, Phillip West is now Prabala das and Rebecca Strowger is now Rupa Ramesvari dasi. Will you please send one copy of this letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads of the aspiring devotees for I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf.
You may send one letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads for chanting on. I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf.
Letter to Nityananda -- Melbourne 11 February, 1973:
The initiation that you have recommended are approved by me. Victor Mistretta is now to be called Vrikodara and Darrel Martin is now Dvibhuja. You may send one letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads for chanting on. I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf. I hope this finds you in good health.


Letter to: Sukadeva 2

Calcutta
29 January, 1973
My dear Sukadeva das,
I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 1/8/73, and I have noted the contents with satisfaction. Thank you very much for your kind sentiments. This attitude of serving first the spiritual master is the correct one, for only by the mercy of the spiritual master can one obtain the mercy of Krsna. Just as we sing every morning yasya prasadad bhagavad-prasado yasya prasada na gatih kuto 'pi, in this way the disciple advances more and more in understanding God. So if you simply execute with full faith the instructions that I have already given you, then you will see so many people will be sent by Krsna to become devotees because of your sincerity. So as you are my appointed leader, you must also see that the others are following very strictly the regulative principles like chanting 16 rounds, reading my books regularly, rising early for mangala aratrika, these things will keep us purified for advancing more and more in Krsna Consciousness.
So far your request for initiations for Patrick and Jane, that is approved by me. So far the infant is concerned, let him wait until he is older. You may receive the beads chanted upon by Kirtanananda Maharaja and hold the fire sacrifice. Concerning the second initiations for Ojasir das Brahmacari, Smaranananda das Adhikary and his wife Samsaramochan Devi Dasi, that is also approved, and you will find enclosed the Gayatri threads. So hold the fire yajna and for those who are initiated as brahmanas, teach them how to count on the finger divisions, and play the Gayatri mantra tape in their right ear and have them repeat it along with my vibration word for word, then hang sacred thread on his neck as usual. Girls don't require thread but can responsively chant the Gayatri mantra. In each individual case the instruction should be given and the mantra replayed. The giving of the Gayatri mantra can be held after the fire yajna and each devotee can come alone to you to receive the thread.
Yes, the spiritual master is also present in his picture, though more importantly he is present in his teachings. I think this is explained in one letter that has already been distributed. If you have further questions try to get them resolved by your GBC man, Karandhar, because now I wish to spend all of my time for translating my books like Srimad-Bhagavatam, so I may give them to you.
Thank you very much for assisting me in this way. Hope this finds you in good health.
Your ever well wisher,
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Your request for initiation is approved by me, and I have sent a letter in this regard.
Letter to Gunagrahi -- Calcutta 31 January, 1973:
Krsna Consciousness means always increasing, so I am glad to see that you are remaining enthusiastic to push on this Krsna Consciousness movement more and more. Your request for initiation is approved by me, and I have sent a letter in this regard. You are president of Buffalo temple, so in consultation with your GBC man you may discuss how to push on the spreading of this Krsna Consciousness movement through street sankirtana, book distribution, etc., whatever is practical for you to follow. In regard to preaching the glories of the Lord there are no hard and fast rules, we must simply always remain ourself fixed in Krsna Consciousness and then Krsna will give us the good guidance how to push things on. So since Rupanuga Maharaja is coming there you may discuss with him. I am desiring now to turn over the management of the society to my disciples, the temple presidents and GBC men especially, so cooperatively you may work out the management details.
Regarding the question of your wife's initiation, that is certainly approved by me.
Letter to Rajiblocan -- Calcutta 31 January, 1973:
Regarding the question of your wife's initiation, that is certainly approved by me. You may arrange with Kirtanananda Maharaja for receiving beads duly chanted upon by him. Now both of you cooperate for pushing on this Krsna Consciousness movement as this is our only business in this human form of life.
Second initiations of Sudarsani dasi and Madhurya-lilananda dasi are duly approved by me.
Letter to Kurusrestha -- Melbourne 10 February, 1973:
Second initiations of Sudarsani dasi and Madhurya-lilananda dasi are duly approved by me. Enclosed you will find the Gayatri Mantra slips. You may have one fire ceremony and they may listen to the tape of me chanting the Gayatri Mantra in their right ear and repeat it. Regarding the first initiations, they are also approved by me and their names are as follows. Dan Swanson is now Dvijati Pujaka das, Christopher Beard is now Carucandra das, Phillip West is now Prabala das and Rebecca Strowger is now Rupa Ramesvari dasi. Will you please send one copy of this letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads of the aspiring devotees for I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf.
The initiation of Bhakta Olaf das is duly approved by me and his new name is Asok Kumar.
Letter to Guru-gauranga -- Melbourne 11 February, 1973:
The initiation of Bhakta Olaf das is duly approved by me and his new name is Asok Kumar. You may also have him send his beads along with a cover letter from you to Rebatinandan Swami, who is in London and has been authorized by me to chant on the beads. I hope this finds you in good health.
I am in due receipt of your letter and I approve of the initiations of Bill Allan who is now to be called Balaji das, Paul Terry who is now to be called Parambrahma das, Richard Selvin who is now Radhanatha das and Tom Meyers who is now Taru das.
Letter to Kirtanananda -- Melbourne 11 February, 1973:
Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter and I approve of the initiations of Bill Allan who is now to be called Balaji das, Paul Terry who is now to be called Parambrahma das, Richard Selvin who is now Radhanatha das and Tom Meyers who is now Taru das. I hope this meets you in good health.
The initiation that you have recommended are approved by me.
Letter to Nityananda -- Melbourne 11 February, 1973:
The initiation that you have recommended are approved by me. Victor Mistretta is now to be called Vrikodara and Darrel Martin is now Dvibhuja. You may send one letter to Kirtanananda Swami along with their beads for chanting on. I have authorized him to chant on the beads on my behalf. I hope this finds you in good health.
You may consult with Karandhara das and request him to approve your second initiation. I hope this meets you in good health.
Letter to Tosana -- Melbourne 11 February, 1973:
Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter dated January 25th. and have noted the contents carefully. Your dedication to Srimati Tulasi-devi is very laudable and I am sure that if you consult with Karandhara das he will give you all assistance to help make your dream come true. But carving tulasi beads should not be your sole occupation. You should also go out for street sankirtana and distribute my literature for the cripple minded masses, and whatever spare time you have you can carve some tulasi beads for me to sanctify. But whatever you do should be done with wholehearted enthusiasm and strict adherence to the principles of chanting 16 rounds, rising for mangala arati, following the four basic principles, always remaining clean etc. You may consult with Karandhara das and request him to approve your second initiation. I hope this meets you in good health.
I am approving of the initiation of John Favors who is now to be called GHANASYAMA DASA.
Letter to Satsvarupa -- Sydney 15 February, 1973:
I am approving of the initiation of John Favors who is now to be called GHANASYAMA DASA. From your description he is to be a very nice and intelligent boy so please train him up properly. You may send his beads on to Kirtanananda Maharaja for chanting. I hope this meets you in good health.
I am approving of the first initiation of Debra Hillard. However it is not our policy to give first and second initiations at once.
Letter to Nityananda -- Sydney 18 February, 1973:
I am approving of the first initiation of Debra Hillard. However it is not our policy to give first and second initiations at once. It is better she wait some time. Her new name will be DEBRAJA DASI and also I am agreeing to the second initiation of Shanti dasi. Now you please arrange it so that the Deities are worshiped very very properly and always remain humble in their presence.
I am approving of second initiation for Hari-puja dasi as you requested.
Letter to Bali-mardana -- Calcutta March 7, 1973:
I am approving of second initiation for Hari-puja dasi as you requested.
Also I give approval for the one brahminical initiation. Please find one Gayatri mantra enclosed.
Letter to Govardhan 2 -- Los Angeles 8 May, 1973:
Upon your recommendation I am glad to accept these devotees as my initiated disciples. So now you may hold a fire yajna and send their beads to Kirtanananda Swami for chanting. Also I give approval for the one brahminical initiation. Please find one Gayatri mantra enclosed. After the fire yajna you may play the tape of me chanting Gayatri mantra into the right ear in private. Teach how to count on the finger divisions.


1974 Correspondence

I have accepted the devotees recommended by you for first initiations, and their spiritual names are as follows. Dan McGready—Divyanga dasa Michelle—Maharajani devi dasi Paula—Pramada devi dasi.
Letter to Batu Gopala -- Bombay 23 March, 1974:
Dear Batua Gopala,
Please accept my blessings. I have accepted the devotees recommended by you for first initiations, and their spiritual names are as follows.
Dan McGready—Divyanga dasa
Michelle—Maharajani devi dasi
Paula—Pramada devi dasi
Their beads may be chanted on by Jagadisa Prabhu. Please impress upon them that their chant must avoid the ten offenses, and that they must chant the minimum 16 rounds without fail, and be very careful to keep themselves free of the four sinful activities. They are in your charge so you must set the example.
I am also sending gayatri and sacred thread for Rasikhananda das Brahmacari for his second initiation, and also Gauranga devi dasi.
Your ever well-wisher,
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
ACBS/sdg

 


1976 Correspondence

Concerning the initiation of your wife, Revatinandan Swami has approved her being recommended for first initiation, and he has been informed accordingly of her spiritual name.
Letter to Tarun Kanti Ghosh -- Los Angeles 9 June, 1976:
Concerning the initiation of your wife, Revatinandan Swami has approved her being recommended for first initiation, and he has been informed accordingly of her spiritual name. As disciples you must strictly chant 16 rounds of japa, Hare Krishna Maha-mantra, daily. Also strictly avoid the unwanted habits of illicit sex-life, meat-eating, gambling, and intoxication, and in this way make progress in Krishna Consciousness and be happy.


1977 Correspondence

Letter from Tamala Krishna Goswami (on Srila Prabhupada's behalf) to Hansadutta.

July 31st 1977
My Dear Hansadutta Maharaja,
Please accept my most humble obeisances at your feet. I have been instructed by His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada to thank you for your letter dated July 25th 1977.
You have written to Srila Prabhupada saying you do not know why Srila Prabhupada has chosen you to be a recipient of his mercy. His Divine Grace immediately replied, "It is because you are my sincere servant. You have given up attachment for a beautiful and qualified wife and that is a great benidiction. You are a real preacher. Therefore I like you. (Then laughing) Sometimes you become obstinate, but that is true of any intelligent man. Now you have a very good field. Now organize it and it will be a great credit. No one will disturb you there. Make your own field and continue to become ritvik and act on my behalf."
Srila Prabhupada listened with great enthusiasm as I read to him the newspaper article. His Divine Grace was very pleased: "This article will increase your prestige. It is very nice article. Therfore the newspaper has spared so much space to print it. It is very nice. It must be published in Back to Godhead. Now there is a column in Back to Godhead called "Prabhupada Speaks Out". Your article may be entitled "Prabhupada's  Disciple Speaks Out". Yes, we shall publish this article certainly. Let this rascal be fool before the public. I have enjoyed this article very much. I want my disciples to speak out...backed by complete reasoning. "Brahma sutra sunisthita", this is preaching. Be blessed. All my disciples go forward. You have given the challenge. They cannot answer. This Dr. Kovoor should be invited...For Dr. Svarupa Damodara"s convention on "Life comes from Life". He can learn something at this scientific convention."
Yes, you should certainly get some ISKCON Food Relief money. For your program American money collected and sent for food distribution. That is my proposal. Three hundred people coming is no joke. You mentioned so many nice preperations. I would like to eat but I cannot. At simply hearing these names (of preperations) it is satisfying. Just thinking this morning of you, and now you have written me.
(last paragraph illegible)
Your Servant
Tamala Krishna Goswami
Secretary to Srila Prabhupada
(signature appears on the original)

Letter From Ramesvara, July 21 1977

BBT
THE BHAKTIVEDANTA BOOK TRUST
Founder - Acarya: His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

                                                                              July 21st, 1977
ALL GLORIES TO SRI GURU AND GOURANGA!
Dear GBC Godbrother Prabhus,
Please accept my most humble obeisances in the dust of your feet. All glories to Srila Prabhupada! I have just received some letters from Tamal Krishna Maharaja, and am enclosing herein two documents: 1) Srila Prabhupada's  final version of his last will, and 2) Srila Prabhupada's  initial list of disciples appointed to perform initiations for His Divine Grace. This initial list is also being sent to all centers.
From Tamal"s letter it seems that Srila Prabhupada is enthusiastic despite poor health, and is translating full force. He especially becomes enthused when reports arrive from different GBC men and temples with preaching results, general good news, etc. and Tamal Krishna Maharaja has stressed that we should all be sending such reports, as His Divine Grace often asks, "What is the news?" An outstanding example of Srila Prabhupada's  mood was shown after receiving an encouraging preaching report from Hansadutta Swami in Ceylon. Srila Prabhupada said, "I want to go to Ceylon. I can go. I can go anywhere by chair. It is difficult only in the imagination. The swelling is touching the skin, not my soul.
More than anything else, Tamal has stressed the genuine need for a visiting GBC member to come every month for personal service. Since Srila Prabhupada has recently said that now this regular visiting is very important, all GBC members should be anxious to do this, as it not only involves important work which will help relieve Prabhupada from management, but also involves attending Srila Prabhupada personally, giving him massages and many other nectarian services, and in general affords an unusual amount of personal association, even more than in the past. Out of over 23 GBC members there should never be one month not filled up.
One final news report is that Srila Prabupada has appointed a new GBC member for North India (including Delhi but not Vrndavana) - His Holiness Bhakti Caitanya Swami. Tamal Krishna Maharaja said that His divine Grace appointed him to encourage him for the outstanding preaching work he is doing in Punjab.
Jai, I hope this finds you all well, and fully absorbed in preaching and thus satisfying Srila Prabhupada fully.
                                             Your most unworthy servant,
                                            (signature appears on the original document)
                                             Ramesvara dasa Swami
 Letter to Kirtanananda July 11th, 1977
ISKCON
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS
Founder-Acharya His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
July 11th 1977
My dear Kirtanananda Maharaja,
Please accept my most humble obeisances at your feet. His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada has just received the latest issue of Brijabasi Spirit, Vol.IV,No.4, which brought Him great joy. As He looked at the cover showing Kaladri performing a fire ceremony, He said, "Just see his face how devotee he is, so expert in everything". When Srila Prabhupada opened the first page, His eyes fixed on the picture of Radha- Vrindavana Chandra, and He said, "Vrindavana Bihari - so beautiful. There is no danger wherever Vrindavana Chandra is." After enjoying the whole magazine throughly Srila Prabhupada said, "It is printed on their own press. It is very good progress." His Divine Grace very much appreciated the article "How I Was Deprogrammed" by the young devotee boy. Prabhupada was feeling great sympathy when he heard his story and said, "If one man is turned like this boy then this movement is successful. There is good prospect, good hope. You all combine together and push this movement on and on. Now I am assured that it will go on." While going through the magazine, Srila Prabhupada also saw your good photo on the page "Istagosthi" and Srila Prabhupada bestowed a long loving look upon your good self expressing his deep appreciation for how you have understood this Krishna Consciousness.
A letter has been sent to all the Temple Presidents and GBC which you should be receiving soon describing the process for initiation to be followed in the future. Srila Prabhupada has appointed thus far eleven representitives who will initiate new devotees on His behalf. You can wait for this letter to arrive (the original has been sent to Ramesvara Maharaja for duplicating) and then all of the persons whom you recommened in your previous letters can be initiated.
His Divine Grace has been maintaining His health on an even course and most amazingly has doubled His translation work keeping pace with the doubling of book distribution. Hoping this meets you well.
Your servant,
Tamala Krishna Goswami
Secretary to Srila Prabhupada
(signature appears on original)
His Holiness Kirtanananda Swami
c/o ISKCON New Vrndavana

Letter to Hamsadutta July 10th, 1977

ISKCON
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS
Founder-Acharya: His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

July 10th 1977

My dear Hamsadutta Maharaja,

Please accept my humble obeisances at your feet. Srila Prabhupad has received your letters dated July 4th and July 5th, 1977 respectively, and has instructed me to reply to them.
Srila Prabhupad was very pleased to hear how you have organized everything in Ceylon, and that so many people are now taking interest seriously is proof of the effectiveness of your preaching. His Divine Grace said, “You are a suitable person and you can give initiation to those who are ready for it. I have selected you among eleven men as “rittvik” or representative of the acharya, to give initiations, both first and second initiation, on my behalf.” (A newsletter is being sent to all Temple Presidents and GBC in this regard, listing the eleven representatives selected by His Divine Grace. Those who are initiated are the disciples of Srila Prabhupada, and anyone who you deem fit and initiate in this way, you should send their names to be included in Srila Prabhupada’s “Initiated Disciples” book. In this way the Temple Presidents will send their recommendations for initiation direct to the nearest representative who will give a spiritual name or chant on the Gayatri thread just as Srila Prabhupada has been doing.)
Srila Prabhupad smiled very broadly when he heard of the successful program organized by the local people in which 2000 persons attended. When he heard that you have introduced a full feasting program on Sundays, he said, “You are a good cook, so teach others now how to cook just as I taught you.”

Regarding the printing going slowly, His Divine Grace stated, “Never mind. Go surely. It doesn’t matter slowly.” I inquired from Pradyumna Prabhu about the Sinhalese translation which you mentioned. He said that “On Chanting Hare Krishna Mantra” was translated into Sinhalese, and that translation is in his trunk in Bombay. We will try to get it to you as soon as possible. I do not know if Gopal Krishna has any Tamil manuscript, but if he does, when I see him in about ten days, I will tell him to send it to you. You may also write him directly. Pradyumna says it will be faster just to get a new translation – it is only 1 page.

Srila Prabhupada was very glad to know that you would try to bring some Ceylonese devotees to Mayapur and said, “Oh, that is very good!” He did not know whether the story about Bhaktisiddhanta’s disciples seeing a man eating a rat was true or not. Regarding the exact position of Sri Lanka, this is the opinion of some people. Srila Prabhupad advised that we not discuss this matter publicly at this time. Prabhupad also recommended that from Hari Sauri you take ghee. He said that you could have one fifth of whatever Hari Sauri sends to India. Regarding whether you should use the name Swami or Goswami, Srila Prabhupad said, “Stick to one. Swami is better.”
Your servant,

(signature appears on the original document)

Tamal Krishna Gosvami
Secretary to Srila Prabhupad
His Holiness Hamsadutta Swami
c/o ISKCON Colombo
 

Letter Of July 9, 1977

Original Letter Of July 9, 1977

Letter to: All G.B.C., All Temple Presidents
Vrindaban
9 July, 1977
77-07-09
To All G.B.C., and Temple Presidents
Dear Maharajas and Prabhus,

Please accept my humble obeisances at your feet. Recently when all of the GBC members were with His Divine Grace in Vrndavana, Srila Prabhupada indicated that soon He would appoint some of His senior disciples to act as ritvik - representative of the acarya, for the purpose of performing initiations, both first initiation and second initiation. His Divine Grace has so far given a list of eleven disciples who will act in that capacity:
His Holiness Kirtanananda Swami
His Holiness Satsvarupa dasa Gosvami
His Holiness Jayapataka Swami
His Holiness Tamala Krsna Gosvami
His Holiness Hrdayananda Gosvami
His Holiness Bhavananda Gosvami
His Holiness Hamsaduta Swami
His Holiness Ramesvara Swami
His Holiness Harikesa Swami
His Grace Bhagavan dasa Adhikari
His Grace Jayatirtha dasa Adhikari
In the past Temple Presidents have written to Srila Prabhupada recommending a particular devotee's initiation. Now that Srila Prabhupada has named these representatives, Temple Presidents may henceforward send recommendation for first and second initiation to whichever of these eleven representatives are nearest their temple. After considering the recommendation, these representatives may accept the devotee as an initiated disciple of Srila Prabhupada by giving a spiritual name, or in the case of second initiation, by chanting on the Gayatri thread, just as Srila Prabhupada has done.

The newly initiated devotees are disciples of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad,
the above eleven senior devotees acting as His representative.
After the Temple President receives a letter from these representatives giving the spiritual name or the thread, he can perform the fire yajna in the temple as was being done before. The name of a newly initiated disciple should be sent by the representative who has acceted him or her to Srila Prabhupada, to be included in His Divine Grace's "Initiated Disciples" book.

Hoping this finds you all well.

Your servant, Tamala Krsna Gosvami
Secretary to Srila Prabhupada

Approved:(signed) A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
(Prabhupada signature appears on the original)


The above is the Original Letter Of July 9, 1977 of His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada, his originally signed and approved paper for appointing some of His senior disciples to act as ritvik - representative of the acarya



No comments:

Post a Comment